Mr. Tye's Year 3 Newspaper Class

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bi-Weekly assignments go on this forum!

+17
Helen 3
April3
James&Mary
Michelle
susan
Anna class3
May littledonkey
Emma
jessica three
sheely
Nancy3
Rose__class3
霍瑞峰Jade
Daisy
Jennifer
kelly
Mr. Tye
21 posters

Week 1/2 Assignments

Mr. Tye
    Mr. Tye
    Admin

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Week 1/2 Assignments

Post  Mr. Tye Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 pm

This week, I want you to register an account, post your English name, and submit an article and summary like my example in the first post of this forum!

REPLY TO MY POST FOR YOUR ASSIGNMENT!

DUE DATE FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT: SEPTEMBER 4th!
    Mr. Tye
    Mr. Tye
    Admin

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Mr. Tye

Post  Mr. Tye Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Here is my example

Name goes here : Mr. Tye

Link goes here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14597550

Your ideas/summary goes here :

On August 11, an act of senseless violence occurred at an American university, that may have damaged the athletic diplomacy between the two nations of China, and America.

Previous incidents of violence by Chinese basketball teams playing overseas teams + rampant sports corruption in China + the need for a Chinese victory at any cost = trouble. A post game analyses revealed that the Chinese referee blew the whistle for a foul at American players 3 times more often for the same type of infraction.

Whether or not this gives light to how things are run in China, the fundamental idea that sports link our world together seems to be untrue. The way sports are viewed in communist societies are that of pure competition. If the team loses, the country loses face. In individualistic societies, like America, a team loss does not signify the loss of the nation.

I think that this unfortunate mishap is no way to smooth out Chinese and American relations. At this point, it doesn't matter who did what, but a brawl like this cannot be tolerated in this day and age of strengthening China-USA ties.
    kelly

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Re: Week 1/2 Assignments

Post  kelly Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:20 pm

name:Kelly
    mewslink:http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/08/26/japan.pm.resigns/index.html
    assignment:
    Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan resigned on August 26, 2011 . The reason why he resigned was the rate tumbled following after the devastating March earthquake and tsunami . The Party will elect a new leader next week who will take over as Prime Minister. He also makes laws for the post-earthquake reconstruction . The Prime Minister said that Japanese government will pay two billions into the remonstration at a Lower House committee session .
    The following nuclear crisis also influenced Japan a lot . The cores overheated and spewed radioactive material into surrounding areas .
    There are many candidates can be voted , and until the next prime minister come up , Kan still need to fulfill his duty to the country . The new leader will be the sixth premier for the nation in five years . As a new leader for the country , he also need to solve many big problems , including soaring debt, nuclear woes, a shrinking population and a nation struggling to rebuild after the devastating earthquake and tsunami.
    I think this election can not explain the innocence of the PM , the nature disaster is beyond the human ability . In other way , the election can be devastating to order and national efficacy .
    Jennifer

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Jennifer

Post  Jennifer Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 pm

name:Jennifer
    news link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14659127
    assignment:
    On August 25, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has resigned as chief executive of the technology giant and will be replaced by chief operating officer Tim Cook.
    In a short letter to the board of Apple, Mr.steve said the feeling about this event . He also showed his belief about the development of Apple.To look back the progree that make Apple success, Mr.steve make huge contribution to the firm . There was so many people to confirm his labour.
    Through the resiged of Steve, the news also introduce the products of Apple,such as iPads,iphones,iPods.So, all of these products have been launched with steve.
    I think the resigned of him is a challenge of Apple,he set the firm after all. Maybe there were so many people have doubt about its future ,we will rub us eyes and wait.
    Daisy

Post  Daisy Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:20 pm

name:Daisy
    newslink:http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/09/news/international/china_trade_balance_exports/index.htm?cnn=yes
    assignment
    The world economic report showed China's monthly trade balance still showed a wider surplus in May, although China had showed exoprt growth rate,the surplus value have decline clear in May than April,the surplus phonmenon still clear.
    As other econmist said trade surplus may lead Inflation,the Inflation inevitable infience noraml develop of the economic,the company,the people not the China or the whole world.The world hope China could decline the speed of the develop,the recent situation shows China's economic growth still higher than American.
    霍瑞峰Jade

Post  霍瑞峰Jade Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:38 am

Jade class3
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2011-09/06/content_13630859.htm
    Nowadays, the issue of food safety is very important to China, particularly in rural areas that lack control and supervision,there have been reports of pork adulterated with clenbuterol, a drug that can cause heart problems; rice contaminated with cadmium, a metal discharged by smelters; soy sauce laced with arsenic; noodles mixed with ink and wax; bean sprouts contaminated with an animal antibiotic; and eggs induced with chemicals, gelatin and paraffin among other adulterated food products.
    Why is this such a serious problem in the backward areas?Food producers in order to reap huge profits at the expense of food safety, they have realized that by using additives they can increase their profit margins. The tragedy is that such food producers don't consider the serious effects that adulterated food has on consumers.
    The government, however, has taken some measures on the issue. In 2009, China adopted a comprehensive Food Safety Law, At the same time,the government has to take measures to educate rural people to a level where they can distinguish between genuinely healthy food products and their contaminated varieties, and demand safe and quality products. It has to train more enforcement agents, too, because the present lot of food inspectors are not qualified enough to meet the demands.
    Rose__class3

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Rose__Class3

Post  Rose__class3 Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Name:Rose__class3
    Newslink:http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/2011-09/09/content_13654260.htm
    Liu Qiuying waved her arms as quickly as she could in the middle of the busy Qinghai-Tibet Highway while a heavily-laden truck hurtled toward her. After the driver abruptly applied the brakes she politely asked him, and those behind, to wait because "a group of VIPs will be passing by".The "VIPs" were not high-ranking officials. They were not even human beings. They were Tibetan antelope, which are endemic to the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau of western China. The species is considered endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, and tops China's protection list.
    Every June and July, female Tibetan antelope gather in various places,A month later, the antelope bring their newborns back to their original home. Mankind has made both the initial and return trips dangerous for the animals; the Qinghai-Tibet Highway and Qinghai-Tibet Railway run right through their migration path.
    After Liu had tried for nearly an hour on that July day to help the herd cross the highway, the lead antelope, which usually tries to ensure the safety of the others, began to make a wary approach to the pavement. Nearby volunteers and passersby quickly became as quiet as they could to avoid startling the animals.The volunteers' conservation work is producing the desired results.
    In conclusion.I think more and more people pay more attention to make money and neglect to many spices extinct. In the 1980s illegal hunting to get the animals'fur almost made the spices extinct.However,at the same time many voluteer appeared.they are self-giving and do many contribute.they are worth praising and good example for everyone. I think everyone have duty to protect animals .especially extinct animals.

flower

Nancy3

Post  Nancy3 Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Name: Nancy
    News link:http://english.cntv.cn/program/bizasia/20110901/110289.shtml
    Assignment: Starting from September 1st, a new tax threshold of 3500 yuan will be used in calculating the monthly personal income tax of wage earners, exempting 60 million people from paying personal income tax from that date onwards. It's undoubtedly good news for most people, especially for the middle-income groups. For the non-locals with the potential to buy properties, if his/her monthly income is below 3,500 yuan, from Sept. 2011 he/she will have no certificate of paying personal income tax which is required to buy a house in many cities in China. Such as my mother, she earns less than 3500 yuan per month, so she will no longer pay the personal income tax. There is a big change welcomed by most people
    China amend this tax law will lower the taxable population by 70 percent, from 84 million to 24 million, accounting for around 1.8 percent of China's entire population.
    The state employees in China declines from 28% to 8%, the number of benefits up to 600000000 because of this new law. This new law intends to increase the people’s salary, and then encourage individual consumption further.
    I think this solution is timely to today’s economy situation, which calls make the best of both worlds.
    sheely
    sheely

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty my news

Post  sheely Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:07 pm

name:sheely
    this is my news link:http://www.womensviewsonnews.org/2011/08/thailand-elects-its-first-female-prime-minister/
    the main idea of this news:Thailand first woman prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra will inaugurate in the near future.she was won in the most important election in recent history .her victory make people hope that women can play a larger role in the politics.but many people suspect her whether the woman can cross the Thai society to the cultural and social barriers.She said
    she can use as the female to talk with everyone to make the country... move forward by the peaceful strategy.Thai businesses are already a world leader in hiring women executives. A recent survey reported about 30 percent of companies are led by female CEOs.But women still lag in politics.
    While she was preparing for the office time,all of Thailand waiting to see whether her untested political skills can overcome the country’s deep divisions - or if she can change broader political attitudes among both men and women.

jessica three

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Are the Americans coolest in the world?

Post  jessica three Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Name: Jessica
    News link: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/language_tips/news/2011-09/08/content_13647670.htm
    Assignment:

Today I saw a interesting news, it said that the world still thinks Americans are “coolest”. Oh, it’s so crazy! Ha ha ha…… But, in my opinion, the Americans are really cool! Their ideas, music, sports, even politics, all have their characters and attracting people’s attention all over the world.
    We can find so many examples to prove that Americans are really cool. The cool leader, Obama; the cool rapper Jay---Z; the cool sports, NBA; the cool telephone, Apple……We should admit in many areas, Americans are the prophets! They lead people to discover the new things in the world. Maybe witnessing their global superpower influence decline in the face of challenges from other countries, but the Americans’ dreams never disappear. I remember the Americans are the people who invented the world: cool!
    I think, cool, is an attitude in everyone’s heart. If you have good ideas, dreams, just do it! Follow your heart! It’s cool!
    Emma

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty A day to remember

Post  Emma Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Name:Emma
    News link:http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/911/2011-09/12/content_13667791.htm
    Assignment

NEW YORK - Americans on Sunday remembered the horror of Sept 11, 2001, and the nearly 3,000 people who died in the hijacked plane attacks as authorities worked to ensure the emotional 10th anniversary was peaceful.
    President Barack Obama and former president George W. Bush stood in silence on Sunday and a church bell rang twice at the precise moment ten years after the first jetliner struck the World Trade Center.The heart of the ceremony to consecrate the memorial began with the reading of the names of nearly 3,000 people who died in the attacks.Luckily,
    US forces killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan in May.Although it doesn't mean that there are no terrorism attacks in future,in our mind ,we think it's a good beginning.
    In the past ten years for the united states,it is a challenging decade, but we also can witness the United States' power. As a result,we all know justice can defeat evil.
    For us,today's peace is not easily won,we should learn to treasure.Because no matter a war or a terrorism attack happens,we all need to pay for it.we should hold together so that our country,even our world can be more and more powerful.

May littledonkey

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Vitamin A pills 'could save thousands of children'

Post  May littledonkey Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Name:may
    Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14666287
    27 August 2011

I think it is a good news that giving vitamin A supplements to children under the age of five in developing countries could save 600,000 lives a year, so in this way can we do something to help those who are needed.
    Our bodies needs vitamin A for the visual and immune systems to work properly, and we can find it in foods including cheese, eggs, liver and oily fish, so if we can balanced our diet that would be a piece of cake to keep healthy.
    There are lots of children in Africa short of vitamin and cause poor living condition they would be felt helpless, so the cheap vitamin can prevented young children from dying. cheers
    Anna class3

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Anna class3

Post  Anna class3 Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 am

Anna
    The 911 anniversary was held at 12 September 2011
    The New York memorial to those killed on 9/11 is due to open to the public, a day after its dedication on the 10th anniversary of the attacks.
    It includes the names of 2,983 people killed by al-Qaeda in New York, the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania.
    On Sunday night, President Barack Obama said Americans should honour those who died but look forward with "hope".
    He said the decade since the attacks showed the resolve of those in the US to defend their way of life.
    The ideal that "men and women should govern themselves... has only been strengthened", Mr Obama said.
    Mr Obama was speaking during a memorial concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington, closing a day of official commemorations marking the 10th anniversary of the attacks.
    I think that the anniversary of 911 stands for determination of objecting to terrorism.. People all over the world hope that it is a peaceful world where is no conflicts, no wars.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14884356
    susan

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty susan

Post  susan Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Name:susan
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14880804
    Assignment:
    Reading this news, I don't know it is a good news or bad! I'm puzzled.First,I have to say sorry to the orangutans, because they are in so terrible situation. The condition is so bad, they even don't get good care; meanwhile, they are under threat of extinction from deforestation and poaching. secondly,I think I should smile,because their life is improved, the goverment is tring their situation. The smoking orangutan has put into the wildlife area, it is get off the cigarettes.
    Michelle

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Michelle

Post  Michelle Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Michelle
    Obama scraps tighter smog rules
    US president Barack Obama scrapped proposals to tighten rules on air pollution.
    Obama continued to underscore the importance of reducing regulatory burdens and regulatory uncertainty, particularly as our economy continues to recover.
    Ozone is a lung irritant ,connected with asthma and other respiratory conditions.
    The white House said a new standard would be issued in 2013, after the science behind the levels has been updated,
    I think this is good, it can prevent the pollution, good for the environment.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14771354
    James&Mary

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty James

Post  James&Mary Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:56 pm

A basketball match was abandoned after a major fight broke out last Sunday and a rematch was sheduled.A Chinese team that got into a brawl with US university players during an exibition game has invited BeiJing airport to make amends.And Chinese basketball players have been fined by teams around the globe for fighting.The aim of this match is to strengthen the ties between the two countries.
    To some extent,the brawl is pretty serious.The scuffle marked the latest in a chain of on-court brawls by Chinese basketball player and lost faces of Chinese.Please stop this kind of things.It is really not very good.
    April3

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty April3

Post  April3 Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:06 pm

April class 3
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2010-03/29/content_9653642.htm
    The Earth Hour is initiated by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) in 2007。It turns off the lights for people, and reduce carbon emission Let us live a low carbon life and protect the environment .Nowadays, climate change and global warming is a popular topic, so save electricity is also very important.
    How can we make the most use of electricity? As we all know, electricity can help people do a lot of things, such as make our work more efficiently and save time. Without electricity, we even can not imagine what the earth is like. So we must realize that there is not enough electricity resources in the world and we should save it.
    We can know many detail, for instance, turn off the lights whenever it is not necessary, we can use other resources like solar energy to replace and still many other actions. As long as you remember the idea in your mind, it will make a big difference.
    May littledonkey

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty May

Post  May littledonkey Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Name:May
    Link: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2011-09/13/content_13675320.htm
    Teaching in 'No Man's Land'

[img]file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4DEBCPQB\001ec97909630fd929fa1a[1].jpg[/img]

The 26-year-old primary school teacher Tseringbum is the English major graduated on a scholarship from Qinghai University, and then he asked the government to post him to a poor settlement, which turned out to be the isolated Tibetan community in Qinghai province's Yushu prefecture.
    The children there even don't know how to eat eggs, and what they speak is the Khams Tibetan dialect because the people there are uneducated mostly.
    He treats the children like his own, and invited them to his home getting along each other very well.
    Now most people in the world always think about themselves, and have a competitive life in cities, while only the minority of people like Tseringbum can go to the poverty area to help the people scarifying their profit.
    Tseringbum is a good example for all of us. Can we do something to our society?
    Helen 3

Post  Helen 3 Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Name:Helen 3
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15033046
    Headline:A Point of View: Churchill, chance and the 'black dog'Comments (113)
    Lead:Towards the end of his long life, when he was staying in a house lent to him by friends in the south of France, Winston Churchill sent for a young man who was helping him write one of the books with which he occupied his retirement.

Churchill needed the young man as a researcher. But he also valued him as a companion, particularly in the evenings when he would otherwise feel lonely.

One cold night they were sitting before the fire, where pine logs were hissing and spitting as they were burnt away. Churchill watched the blaze in silence. Then he growled: "I know why logs spit. I know what it is to be consumed."

Helen 3

Post  Helen 3 Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Name:Laura
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15051112
    Headline:Nepal tourist plane crashes near Kathmandu killing 19
    Lead:A small plane has crashed in Nepal killing all 19 people on board, officials say.

The Buddha Air plane was carrying 16 tourists to view Mount Everest and other peaks and was returning to the Nepalese capital.

One person was rescued alive and taken to hospital but died of his injuries.

Tourism Secretary Ganeshraj Joshi said there had been 10 Indians on board, two Americans, a Japanese citizen and six Nepalis, including the three-man crew.

Helen 3

Post  Helen 3 Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Name:Hilda
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15051023
    Headline:Libya's NTC troops renew assault on pro-Gaddafi Sirte
    Lead:25 September 2011 Last updated at 07:52 GMT Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

139ShareFacebookTwitter.Libya's NTC troops renew assault on pro-Gaddafi SirteAdvertisementAlastair Leithead says anti-Gaddafi fighters have made a "major breakthrough"
    Continue reading the main story
    Libya CrisisPainting Gaddafi
    Chaotic attack on Ban Walid
    Migrants face backlash
    Profile: Sirte
    Libya's interim government forces are renewing their attack on Sirte, one of the last pro-Gaddafi strongholds.

National Transitional Council (NTC) fighters had regrouped overnight after making major gains on Saturday.

Troops entered from both west and east and, at one stage, were within 1km (0.5 miles) of the city centre, after weeks of stalemate.

Sirte is Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's birthplace, but it is not known if he is in the city.

Helen 3

Post  Helen 3 Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Name:Sally3
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14805683
    Headline:Gifts meet polar bear Walker's demand for hard hats
    Lead:Walker chews on a hard hat in a pond in his enclosure at the Highland Wildlife Park
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories
    Polar bear Mercedes put to sleep
    Tooth trouble annoys polar bear
    Polar bear undergoes dental work
    Plastic hard hats are being donated to a wildlife park after the helmets became the favourite toy of the site's 58-stone male polar bear.

Gifts of the protective head wear started arriving at the Highland Wildlife Park after images of Walker chewing one appeared online.

Staff said Walker "lights up" when he sees someone bringing him a hard hat.

Walker shared an enclosure at the Kincraig park with aged bear Mercedes until she was put to sleep in April.

Head keeper Una Richardson said: "Polar bears are naturally very playful animals and Walker is no exception.

Walker relaxes in his pond with a hard hat "While he has many toys, including traffic cones and plastic barrels, he loves hard hats which he can pounce on and get a hold of with his jaw."

The head keeper first discovered Walker's affinity for the head gear when volunteers from the Royal Monmouthsire Regiment Territorial Army and the 73 Engineer Squadron Territorial Army visited the park to assist with construction projects.

Lina

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty news

Post  Lina Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Lina Class3

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-09/25/content_13787378.htm

Mary Peng is a woman who works for animals.she hadn't done what she now advises everyone to do untli a monkey taught her an important lesson.

One day, a couple of monkeys belonging to her neighbors came onto her apartment balcony by sneaking under her air-conditioning unit. When she tried to catch them, one bit her finger.

As soon as possible, she started to get the series of five shots needed to give her immunity to the disease. Fortunately for her, the days of having to have the vaccine directly injected into the stomach had passed.

Peng could have the shots in her arm. And rather than all at once, they could be taken over the course of 28 days. This made her relise that she must take some actions to give medical treatment that meets international standards. By her efforts such as ture to government make laws, improve dog owners' knowledge about pets,she made great progress.

"But what about everybody else here?" she says. "That wasn't solving the problem for anybody. I wanted to be a part of something that would make a real contribution to China, which is now my permanent home."said by her.

In my opinion,protecting the environment is to protect human beings themselves so that one day in the woods, no birds sing. no fish in the water,.the interdependence of human and animal nature will be gone forever.The disappearance of a species will disappear forever, so there is no way to the disappearance of the animals return to the embrace of nature. So everyone please take care of animals!
    tiffany class3

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty 200 French troops to leave Afghanistan

Post  tiffany class3 Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 pm

A French military spokesmansaid,some soldiers would leave Afghanistan the late October. French President said more soldiers will pull out from Afghanistan at the end of 2012.All of them will leave at the end of 2014.75 soldiers were killed since 2011.

In my opinion,the main current of the world is the peace.Although we can't avoid the war,we should believe in peace.No matter soldiers or others,they are not responsible for the war or the countries in destiny to risk their lives.we against warhttp://www.presstv.ir/detail/200600.html
    Alice Class 4

Week 1/2 Assignments Empty Eurozone rescue plan 'emerging' as IMF and Greece talk

Post  Alice Class 4 Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 am

Liz

The outline of a large and ambitious eurozone rescue plan is taking shape, reports from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington suggest.It is expected to involve a 50% write-down of Greece's massive government debt,The plan also envisages an increase in the size of the eurozone bailout fund to 2 trillion euros (£1.7tn; $2.7tn). European governments hope to have measures agreed in five to six weeks. European markets fell at the start of trade on Monday but then rallied.

I think this thing has influenced all over the world,and we all hope the IMF can use its fuction to solve the problem we are facing.

Tina' homework is in the below

First hoomework
    Pakistan floods: Authorities 'struggle to provide aid
    On 22 September 2011 Last updated at 11:03 GMT Authorities in Pakistan are still struggling to reach those worst affected by floods, weeks after devastating monsoon rains in the south. Caused by heavy monsoon rains, the floods have already killed 248 people and damaged or destroyed some 665,000 homes across the province since they began last month. At least 7,000 people are being treated for snake bites.
    These years many kinds of Natural disasters have influenced human’s life, we can take exercise to avoid biggest loose, at the same time, we need to protect the environment.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15015765 '
    Second homework:

Title :Appalling grave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15055109
    A mass grave believed to contain up to 1,270 bodies has been found in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, The remains are thought to be those of inmates who were killed by security forces in 1996 in the Abu Salem prison. Excavation at the site is expected to start soon. Several bone fragments and pieces of clothing have already been found in the top soil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15055713

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 pm